I am extremely happy with my new tractor. The other day I moved more dirt with it in a couple hours than I could have in several weeks with a shovel and a wheelbarrow. Berming the north side of the earthbag home is well under way. Next I used the loader to flatten out the spot where the solar panels will be set up. Kind of odd actually that it needed doing at all. We live in a place so flat that on a clear morning, you can see the back of your head.
But there it was, a small area that the previous landowner had built up to place his fuel tanks on stands. There was also an old windmill there that had come down. Digging it out with the backhoe was fun and easy compared to the manual digging out of an old satellite dish. I frigging love this new tractor.
Tomorrow the concrete truck is coming to pour the blocks for the solar mounts. I built the forms using wood from pallets and some plywood that I keep reusing for various things.Inside the forms are some rebar cages I made and then welded to the vertical posts.
Putting the cross bar in place would have been impossible without the loader. It’s a fifteen foot length of 4.5″ diameter x .335″ wall steel at the top of 8 foot posts. All the pieces are hot dipped galvanized so everything should last a very long time.
There is still plenty of work to do before I can tell the power company to pack sand but we are making good progress. It’s going to feel really good to flip that breaker switch to turn the panels on.